a report on the search for the real meaning of life... or maybe not really



Arredores

Next

Random

List

Powered by Blogger Pro™
Site Meter



Monday, November 03, 2003  

Just three short things (yes, this time I won't write a huge post like earlier):

I forgot to mention that on Friday I had a great surprise when I realized, while walking to the office in the morning, that my proposed method for my research would never work. I have mentioned this to my advisor today but he sort of liked the idea (or just didn't understand anything but saw that I had some "pretty" graphs so asked me to continue working on what I was working).

The second thing is that I am home. My car is working alright. Just got back from Tulsa, then passing by my student's and then Wal-Mart.

At last, but not least, while on my way to Tulsa I was listening to the radio and, I don't remember exactly what they were talking about but it made me start thinking about what privacy really is and wondering if it is really a good thing. In my analysis, a person wants privacy for two reasons: to be able to break rules (tabus or laws) or to be able to make mistakes and correct them before anybody comes to laugh at your mistake.

It is natural to want to do things hidden from other people, but is this really a good thing? Should we really be working on ensuring that this is something everybody has? I am not that sure... Privacy may generate anonymity, and may cause people to feel alright about making mistakes and not really doing things that you were expected to do. It generates loneliness (because you can and it may be the lazy path towards something), it creates a "fake wall" that at first may be protecting you from the others, but it actually protecting you from yourself, it is just covering the mirrors.

I can go on with this forever, but I mentioned that this was going to be a short post so I'll stop here for now.

posted by Michel | 11:52 PM
Comments: Post a Comment