a report on the search for the real meaning of life... or maybe not really



Arredores

Next

Random

List

Powered by Blogger Pro™
Site Meter



Friday, November 21, 2003  

I was exposed to a very interesting story yesterday. First a little background on the main character of the story:

He arrived here at the same time I got here, so we met at orientation and around campus being lost. Nice fellow, a little crazy sometimes (during winter he would always walk on snow saying "I love to walk on snow!"), but nothing much. Then suddenly he dissappeared. He started working on 2 or 3 projects at the same time (he was working on his Ph.D. in photonics through the Physics point of view), in 3 different buildings and was always busy and running around.

Now comes the story: last winter break he went back home for a month. When he came back, he had changed his status (this means that he got married). I'm still not completely sure what happened, but, according to his story, he met a girl and three days later they were married! He said that it simply clicked on him that she was the one and it seems like the same thing clicked on her. They came back together, he stuggled one more semester thinking of his research and things like that, she got pragnant and this semester he decided that Photonics was not for him and that he wanted to be a High School Physics teacher! He switched to master's, is graduating this semester and it looks like he already got a job in Oklahoma City.

What a change in life, huh? His reason was: when it comes the right time, you will understand.

Well, maybe I'll never understand, but I envy his courage to change! Some things are difficult to relate simply because he has a completely different cultural background than I have, but there is always an universal idea behind all... The nature of the human being is always behind all cultures, and that's why intercultural analysis is so interesting.

Anyway, the other strange thing that happened last night is that more than one people there thought I was from Turkey. And I still have to learn to accept that, being the president of a student organization, I have to give in on talking in public even when I think my thoughts are not interesting enough. I'm not the person to judge this.

posted by Michel | 6:44 AM
Comments: Post a Comment